CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Living Desert!

Tennyson, Banner, Liz, Anne Adele and I went to the desert today. Lizzy had heard that the cactus were in bloom. Boy were they ever. Here are some pictures of all that we saw.

Click on the pictures for a closer view of the beautiful colors.































Lizzy spotted a Sego Lily when we were driving to the Wedge.



A closer view of the inside.



Banner at the Wedge



You can tell it has been a wet spring.


I've never seen so much green along the San Rafael River.



Tennyson likes to live dangerously.



Look at all those layers of rock under her feet.



Window Blind in the background.







Does anyone know what this wild flower is called? Lizzy thinks it might be called Bottle Brush.


An antelope ejoying the lovely flowers.







We found a sale on raspberries monday so on tuesday Anne Adele and I made some delicious freezer jam.



The raspberries.


They are such a pretty red color.





Anne Adele mashing the berries.



This is Miranda's share of the jam. Lizzy and I each got some too. We wanted to give some to Anne Adele but she has no way to get it home.


I had some left over so I put some in freezer bags for later.
On monday we made rhubarb syrup, it turned out very tasty. We had pancakes on tuesday morning and used our delicious syrup. Gabe said it was very good.





3 comments:

Rebecca, John & Gabe

What beautiful pictures! It has been a long time since I was at The Wedge (those pictures of the girls I posted awhile back was the last time -- the summer before we were married!) I really miss the desert scenery. Gabe loved his week with you. Now we get to go to the airport around 1:00 a.m. to get Madi and Arden! The whole family together at last.

Alan and Shelley

You've been having too much fun without me! Quit it. I'm going to look up the flowers, but first I have to go to DUP. I'll comment later.

Alan and Shelley

I'm back from DUP in St. Anthony. I loved your post. The cactuses are beautiful and its amazing how beautiful the desert is this spring. I loved all the colors of the prickly pear blossoms. You said Lizzy thought the one flower was a bottle brush? I think it is a Desert Plume. I could be wrong because usually Lizzy knows a lot more about plants than I do. Anyway, the jam looks good and so does the wedge. Wish I could have been there. Are you having more rainy weather. It has rained everyday this week and it looks like we'll get more next week. Wow!, someone's prayers are being answered tenfold.